trying to use Knoppis to recover unbootable debian linux drive

Greetings.

I'm still trying to recover data from a drive that won't mount, and in
spite of lots of help from this list, I haven't accomplished it yet.

My current plan of attack is to try to boot on Knoppix and copy to a USB
thumb drive.

I've learned the obvious stuff ... I've mounted my hard drive, changed
the mount to RW, unselected the the "read only" button on the
Properties-->Device tab, changed all permission to "Read and Write" but
i STILL get some folders that are locked and give the error message,

Any ideas what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kenn