CUPS/foomatic/gs printing problem - plain text - first line too high, gets cut off

I'm having trouble with printing after switching to using CUPS,
foomatic, and gs (gs-esp) in Sarge:

When I try to print plain text, the system cuts off the top two-thirds
of the first line, and the first several characters on the left.

From the position of the partially printed characters, it seems that
the text is being aligned with the top and left edges of the paper
instead of being aligned with the top and left edges of the printer's
printable area.

Which configuration file (or files) controls the positioning of plain
text?

Can I set a system-wide default offset for plain text?

Note that the CUPs printer test page seems to work fine.  Specifically,
the border around the page does not get cut off, and it seems to go
right up to the edge of the printable area.  Therefore, the system
knows exactly how wide the unprintable margins are, so at least part of
my system is configured right.

Shouldn't the formatting of plain text (into PostScript and from there
into pixels/dots) use (whether directly or indirectly) the information
about the width of the unprintable margins to position the text within
the printable area (at least on the top and left)?

My printer is a Canon BubbleJet BJ-200ex; I'm using the
Canon-BJ-200-bj200 PPD file (selected via CUPS' web interface).

Thanks.

Daniel

P.S.  Which configuration file controls the number of lines of plain
text formatted per page?