Does chip architecture matter when installing...

I new thought occured to me when thinking about my previous issue...

The motherboard I have is compatible with the AMD Sempron (a 32 bit chip) and the AMD Athlon 64 bit chip.
Does this cross compatibility make a difference in which install media to use? I have a 32 bit processor installed and am using the i386 install disc, and am getting more issues than I have EVER had out of Linux.