Re: X in sarge can't display Chinese

Serena Cantor wrote:
> I have just installed sarge, but mozilla can't display Chinese. I
> select "Preference" menu, to config font for Chinese, only can see
> "serif" and  "Sans serif" after setting Chinese,though I have
> installed xfonts-intl-chinese. below is output by xlsfonts: [..]

Fonts, and especially the way fonts are selected for use by Debian
applications, are a black art.

If you want Chinese display in Mozilla, xfonts-intl-chinese will not
help (these 'xfonts' usually are bitmap fonts, which are hardly used by
any application nowadays). You need ttf fonts, like the Debian package
ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp (use "apt-cache show arphic" for more
possibilities). After you've done this, the mozilla font menu will show
something like "arphic" when you choose Chinese. But usually Mozilla
will use the Chinese font automatically when it encounters a Chinese web
page (using the fontconfig mechanism).

Some people on the Debian list said something about canna; this is
nonsense, canna has nothing to do with fonts. It is a keyboard input
system -- for Japanese. If you are interested in Chinese keyboard input,
look at scim or uim.

About locales: it is best to switch your system to a UTF-8 locale, which
is easy, but which is unfortunately not done in Debian by default. With
any kind of UTF-8 locale, you can view, edit, type, and print documents
and web pages in any language in the world -- including, of course,
Chinese -- while keeping your Debian/Linux user environment intact (i.e.
texts in menus, etc., can remain in the language that you are used to).

I put everything I could find out about Debian internationalisation on
my web page, http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html. Maybe it will give
you some hints. Well, I use Sid. Possibly not everything works in Sarge.

Regards, Jan