Re: dist-upgrade wants to remove postfix, install exim

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 13:13:15 -0500
hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 09:35:11AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 07:22:26 +0100
> > Robert Waldner <waldner@waldner.priv.at> wrote:

> > > Thanks, I pinned exim* to -1 and postfix* to 1001, but still aptitude
> > >  wants to install exim instead of postfix.

> > > I installed postfix right after installation myself, so it didn't get
> > >  on as a dependency, BTW.
> >
> > apt-cache policy exim4* shows that it conflicts and replaces any
> > mail-transfer-agent, so the dist-upgrade will do that and there's no
> way around it I know of.
>
> It makes sense that installing exim would remove other conflictint
> mail-transfer agents, but there seems to be a serious bug here that it
> decides to install exim at all when there is another perfectly
> servicable mail-transfer agent available to be upgraded, and, I presume,
> explicitly requested by the user.
>
> Not sure where the bug *is*, though.  A faulty dependency, maybe?  A
> a faulty conflict resolution algorithm?

IIRC dist-upgrade allowed apt to make changes like this -- such as replacing packages with the new defaults. but I know little of apt. that's why I think the remove/reinstall method might work. I'm surprised though that pinning doesn't solve it.