Re: dist-upgrade wants to remove postfix, install exim

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 10:39:29 +0100
Robert Waldner <waldner@waldner.priv.at> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On one of my Sarge boxes, when I try an aptitude dist-upgrade, it wants
>  to remove postfix and install exim instead. Now I don't have anything
>  against exim in particular, I just don't want it on my box ;)
>
> The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
>   postfix
>   exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   postfix
>
> I already tried setting postfix on hold via dpkg --set-selections, but
>  to no avail.

try man apt_preferences. I think you can just pin exim4 to <0 and that'll prevent it from being installed, which should subsequently prevent postfix from being removed. Also, maybe you have postfix as part of an old meta package and the meta package has been changed to include exim4 (the current default mailer for debian) and so that is the source of your problem. If you remove that meta-package (if it exists) then maybe that will prevent this problem.