Re: CIFS VFC No response buffer

On (03/02/06 14:51), Ted Fay wrote:
> Sorry about that!
>
> I should have referenced your original post.
>
> Here's what I was referring to.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> -ted
>
> To: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
> Subject: CIFS VFS No response buffer - solved
> From: Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk>
> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:07:08 +0000

> --------
>
> Hi
>
> I thought I'd post this as I found a solution (or think I have).
>
> I recently started using smb instead of nfs to access files on servers
> from my 64bit laptop.  I had been running windows clients accessing
> samba but couldn't get it to work right for debian clients.  However,
> using file type cifs instead of smbfs seemed to make it work fine, so
> much so, that I stopped using nfs.
>
> However, after a while, I noticed, when swtiching into console tty1, a
> recurrent message "CIFS VFS: No response buffer".  There were similar
> messages when shutting down.  In spite of these messages, smbclient
> seemed to be working OK, if a little hesitant when accessing shares.
>
> Today I had problems saving files to a share from both OpenOffice and
> Gvim - I suspected that it was something to do with the above error.
> Googling didn't produce much but there was a mention of kernels.  So I
> upgraded my kernel from 2.6.8 to 2.6.10 and the error has dissappeared.

Well Ted, I can't recall exactly what happened but given that I've
forgotten, it must have been fine.  I'm currently using
2.6.15-1-amd64-k8 on sid and all is OK.

I also can't remember whether  I ever used a 2.6.11 kernel but you could
always go to 2.6.12 which is available in etch ( if you're running sarge
it's the latest kernel you can use).

HTH

Regards

Clive