Re: Can't find device with cdrecord on Etch

Bernard Fay wrote:
Hello group,

I seems to have a problem to identify my devices (a DVD writer and a CD
writer) when using cdrecord -scanbus.

Do I have to load specific modules or do something to find my devices? I
tried to load ide-scsi.o and sg.o without good succes to identify my
devcies

The actual output is the following:

cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2005
Joerg Schilling
NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
version. Please send bug reports and support requests to
<cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems of this
version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.12-1-386
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or
Solaris.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.33
Using libscg version 'debian-0.8debian2'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg (debian-0.8debian2
'@(#)scsitransp.c      1.91 04/06/17 Copyright 1988,1995,2000-2004 J.
Schilling').
scsibus2:
        2,0,0   200) 'ATA     ' 'ST380013AS      ' '3.18' Disk
        2,1,0   201) *
        2,2,0   202) *
        2,3,0   203) *
        2,4,0   204) *
        2,5,0   205) *
        2,6,0   206) *
        2,7,0   207) *
scsibus3:
        3,0,0   300) 'ATA     ' 'ST380013AS      ' '3.18' Disk
        3,1,0   301) *
        3,2,0   302) *
        3,3,0   303) *
        3,4,0   304) *
        3,5,0   305) *
        3,6,0   306) *
        3,7,0   307) *

Some help or hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bernard

Don't know that this will be much help, but where I outlined my Mondo use in the thread "mondo 1.67" you'll note how I referred to my DVD unit as:

cdrecord-wrapper.sh -v -dao dev=/dev/hdd:1,2,0 fs=16m speed=1 /home/mondo/images/<each iso in turn>

I have both an internal CD unit and DVD unit on my P4 box. The wrapper script that came with cdrecord-ProDVD just passes along the same parameters as cdrecord expects and unlocks DVD writing. It complains about my "device" reference and says I should fool it with the scsi bit, but such isn't necessary anymore.

I don't remember exactly how I came up with the ":1,2,0" bit at the moment and "she who must be obeyed" is busy playing cards on the P4 box right now, so maybe someone can fill that in.

Lee C