Re: switching / to lvm

On 1/26/06, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> David Kirchner wrote:
> > On 1/26/06, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >>You can play with things as you like, but I wouldn't do it.
> >>I had problems with LVM and got rid of it. Over on Fedora,
> >>I've only seen one say "I'm glad I used LVM", but on a regular
> >>basis someone gets bitten.
> >

> > Agreed. I haven't used LVM, but if you're having problems with a flaky
> > drive, adding another layer of complexity (LVM, software RAID, etc)
> > won't usually end up helping.
>
> Well, he did say he was replacing the drive.
>
> [snip]

well, just to attach the answer to the thread:

I tried various things ( installing a number of stock and custom
kernels, generating various initrds using initramfs & yaird, chroots,
grub-installs, etc...

In the end, I did the following:

-shrank the logical volume with my main system by about 5 gigs
-did a quick server install of ubuntu dapper with manual partition --
I used the same /boot partition as I use for the main system, put the
new system on the new lv, and left the main lv alone.
-at boot time, manually edited the kernel stanza to pointt o my main system.
- voila!  it worked!

Now I've permanently edited /boot/grub/menu.lst and the system seems
to be booting just fine.  Presumably there was some problem either
with the way I was installing grub OR with the menu.lst listings I
myself had tried.  either way, it works now.

not exactly a success, but a crude hack anyway.

Matt