Re: Apt Gone Mad?-Or Is It Me?-Expert Help Needed

Spamassassin had me blacklisted. Still trying to post/

--- Star King of the Grape Trees
<thestar@fussycoder.id.au> wrote:

> Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>
> >--- Star King of the Grape Trees
> ><thestar@fussycoder.id.au> wrote:

> >>Ok, there's your problem.  experimental is...
> well,
> >>experimental.
> >>
> >>Mixed systems are also extremely discouraged, and
> >>those who run a mixed
> >>system generally already know how to deal with
> >>whatever issues they find.
> >>

> >Hello Star...,
> >OOOOk, I forget just exactly what sid programs I
> have;
> >some media player file that wouldn't work under
> >testing. If I uninstall it, will the problem go
> away?
> >BTW, I have ran mixed distros
> >before and never had anything like this happen but
> it
> >was always with a 2.6.8 kernel or less.
> >I'm no expert, using linux-debian for less than 2
> yrs.
> >I've always could install a debian version in any
> >distro unless there was a dependency issue that had
> >be fixed first.  In this case my efforts failed as
> >shown in the output from my attempts.  Could use
> some
> >specific suggestions.  Thanks.
> >
> Are you running a testing/experimental or a
> testing/sid (ie, etch/sid)
> system?
Yes, I am.  I can boot with a 2.4.18-bf2.4,
2.6.8-1-686 or 2.6.15-1-686
kernel. I just upgraded to testing(etch) from sarge
stable. I have one media player installed that's
experimental(sid) and would remove it if
that would clear things up.

> Also, the fact that it worked 2 years ago means
> nothing - the issue is
> wether they are compatible and they are not.
Ok, I thiink I understand; the gcc-4.0 compiler is
responsible for the
difference. Must have missed the warning documentation
on this.  I recently
had to revise the Linuxant Makefile for their tar.gz
driver package to get my winmodem to work with 2.6.15.

> I have performed a sid->sarge downgrade, and
> consequently it is a mixed
> system, however the sid installation at the time was
> _before_ the gcc4
> transition, and that alone made it much easier.

Am I better off if I go to either all etch or all sid
even if
I have to uninstall woody.  Be happy to do either if
it
helps.

> I have had numerous problems with mixed systems, in
> a nutshell, a manual
> repair is often neccessary - from fixing pam issues
> by hand to many
> other fixes, we cannot just give you some "specific
> suggestions" due to
> the nature of the problem.

Ok, just comment on this one apt output regarding the
dependency
issue, if you please:

  kdelibs: Depends: kdelibs-data (>= 4:3.3.2-6.4) but
4:3.3.2-6.3 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with
no packages (or specify a solution).
ChatagnierL-Home:/temp#

ChatagnierL-Home:/temp# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  kdelibs-data
  kdelibs-data
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 54 not
upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/7094kB of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be
used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 231615 files and directories
currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kdelibs-data 4:3.3.2-6.3 (using
.../kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-6.4_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kdelibs-data ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-6.4_all.deb
(--unpack):
 unable to make backup link of
`./usr/share/apps/ksgmltools2/docbook/xml-dtd-4.2/ent/iso-grk1.ent'
before installing new version: Operation not permitted
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken
pipe)

/var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-6.4_all.deb
localepurge: checking system for new locale ...
localepurge: processing locale files ...
localepurge: processing man pages ...
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error co

If you can assist me in resolving the dependency issue
with
kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-6.4_all.deb
(--unpack):, and get it installed, I think I can
handle the rest
for now. I usually handle any dependency issue by
installing the
dependant package but in this case it wont install.
Thanks for any
help on this one item.

PS-KDE Help crashed with signal 11 forcing me to do a
reboot
with the CPU reset button and a manual fsck to boot up
again.
Afterwords, I reran apt-get -f install again because
some of
the original output messages was lost in copying and
the dep-
endancy error was gone and
/var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.3.2-6.4_all.deb
got installed but openoffice still wont install or
upgrade.
FWIW.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net