Re: package manager question

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 01:05:50 +0000
Fabiana Jorge <bangkoka@gmail.com> wrote:

> hmm... I see. So for example, I wanted to install x-window-system, and as I
> don't have a printer I wouldn't need xlibprint and xlibprint-common
> (something like that). If it's not "safe" to remove those packages after the
> installation, is there a way not to install them?
> Thank you all for your time.

'x-window-system' is not a real package, it is a meta-package. It was specialy created in order to ease the installation of the whole X Window System, so you don't need to select each and every package. If you want to install only some bits of X, just select them in aptitude (with +) and it will automatically install all dependencies, with or without 'recommended' packages (you can change this in the menu).

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)