Re: kernel update from 2.4.26 to 2.6

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 04:33:01 +0800
"Jon  Miller" <jlmiller@mmtnetworks.com.au> wrote:

> >Is your search string 'kernel-image'? I get a lot more entries. You should check your sources.list
>
> >Andrei

> Yes I get a lot more, I only gave a sample, what I was showing is that I do not get the version > on the strings that are returned when I do a apt-cache search kernel-image

You should have:

kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686
kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386
kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686-smp

These are the actual kernel packages, the other ones are for transition only.
More information on a package with 'apt-chache show your-package-name'.

> and I get nothing if I do a apt-cache search linux-image.

That's normal if you don't have sources for 'testing' or 'unstable'.
If you want to see those (and maybe install) you'll have to follow the steps for a mixed system

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-default-version

HTH
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)