Re: Reconfiguring xserver-xfree86 Doesn't Work

On (01/02/06 20:50), Thomas H. George wrote:
> I installed a new apg video card and ran dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86.  At first gdm exited with no display fournd.  I deleted
> XF86Config-4 from /etc/X11 and tried again.  This time I got a display
> but with only 640x480 resolution.  I deleted every XF86Config file in
> the system and tried again.  dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 still
> remembered every entry I had previously made but no new XF86Config file
> was written (I checked with updatedb and locate XF86Config - nothing)
> and still I had a display with only 640x480 resolution.  Finally I
> resorted the the old xf86config program.  This created a new XF86Config
> file and a display which could switch between 1280x1024, 1024x768,
> 800x600 and 640x480 resolutions.
>
> The old xf86config program has solved my problem.
>
> I post this message only because I would like to understand why
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 failed.
>
> For the record the programs are pure Sarge (apt-get update and apt-get
> dist-upgrade run this morning) but the kernel was compiled from
> kernel-source-2.6.11_2.6.11 downloaded from testing last summer.

The instructions at the top of the config file say:
#   cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.custom
#   md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 >/var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

I don't pretend to understand why but it seems that deleting the file is
not enough.

Regards

Clive

--