Re: RAID5 config / boot problem

hi ya james

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 james.barton@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> First of all, I should have clarified that I am booting from hda,

makes life lot esier for booting a raid5 subsystems

that would than imply that you need to have mdadm assemble
your raid system, before the system boots ( fsck's your
systems )
	- you're missing the sniplet that assembles the raid5 system

> The partition type of /dev/md0 is ext3

i think you mean filesystem type ..

> The partition types of the four
> component partitions are 'fd' - cfdisk reports them as "Linux raid
> autodetect".

good.. that is what i wanted to see/hear ... for each and all fo
the partitions on all of the disks in the raid5 thing-a-ma-jig

> No - not unless the Debian install put them there. I'm not sure how I
> would know? Anyway, I specified this RAID setup using the Debian sarge
> installer, so I assumed it would either pick an appropriate kernel or the
> right modules for me. "uname -a" tells me my kernel is "2.6.8-2-386" - I
> haven't compiled a new one since installing sarge.

yup, for simplicity, one can onlyhope they did all that right,
but it sounds like something was forgotten or one of the dependency
was not met

> >  	( /boot on raid1 which is one of the few times oyu need
> > 	  a different explicit /boot partitions in todays PCs )
>
> I guess this isn't relevant since I'm not trying to boot from the RAID array?

yup.. ignore everything i said about why you need /boot separate from the
raid5 ...

> md: md0 stopped.

not good .... your raid thingi is NOT turned on yet ..

> I could be reading this wrong, but doesn't it try to fsck the device above
> the snip, but only initialises the sata drivers for the components below
> the snip?

if "/dev/md0 /raid blah foo wah-wah " is listed in /etc/fstab, it
will fsck it before it boots up, after it finishes fsck'ing / and will
check all of the entries in /etc/fstab

c ya
alvin