apache2 install documentation and locales broken?

It seems that the apache and apache installation has several problems.

I did a new install of Sarg (Debian 3.1r1) and chose as one of the install options a web server. It installed apache, apache2,etc and I added  apache-doc but it seems like the installation has problems. I'm unable to see the apache documentation and it seems to be favoring the German index.html.de files without actually displaying the html. It is only text.

The above is hard to explain so here is basically what happened:

When I tested the server by pointing my browser to http://localhost I got a 404. When I pointed it to http://localhost/apache2-default I got the apache default web page, but the link to "documentation" is broken. I screwed around with creating symlinks and whatnot, but in the end, all the index.html files in /usr/share/doc/apache2-doc/manual/ seem to have locale issues. All I see are the text files in the browser, and none are the english versions.

I seem to have several problems: apache is installed incorrectly and the documentation is broken and locales are broken.

Can anyone shed light on this. Do I need to reconfigure?

Thanks.