Re: kernel 2.6 didn't recognize the CDROM, while 2.4 did

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:30:06AM -0800, belahcene abdelkader wrote:
> I downloaded the last CD debian testing Disk 1 (janv
> 30), the installation began correctly from the CD ( so
> it is detected ide cdrom  well known type) after a
> while, it gave an error : no cdrom detected , !!!
> So I went to the other screen ( ctrl+F2), there is
> neither  /dev/hd*, nor /dev/cdrom....,
>
> With kernel 2.4, the cdrom is detected, and
> installation was doing OK.
>
> The Hard disk is SATA, ( ACER PC Pentium 4) detected
> as sda by kernel 2.6 and hda by kernel 2.4.
>
> Conclusion I want to install the system, I HAVE to
> install kernel 2.4  and upgrade to 2.6 !!!!!
> No chance when I use the new kernel 2.6, the CDrom is
> not detected again!!!!
>
> NB: same problem with kernel 2.6 of the official sarge
>  distro !!
>
> I have installed in the same machine without any
> problem Mepis, knoppix and other on-live CD, which use
> the kernel 2.6 !!!!

This often happens if the BIOS is set to combined mode, where the SATA
HD is made to appear as an ide disk.  If set to native/enhanced/seperate
mode, it tends to detect just fine.  Some companies (like Dell) don't
give you a bios option to change.  If this is an option on your system,
it is the simplest.

With 2.6.15 kernel and newer there is a boot option for enabling atapi
support that I believe may solve this.  2.6.16 might make it the
default.

Len Sorensen