Re: creating a disk image of a hardware raid

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 11:30 am, listrcv wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´m looking for a kind of rescue CD I can boot from to create an image
> of the contents of partitions residing on a hardware RAID (3ware 7500-4)
> --- or to create an image of the whole RAID. The image(s) could be
> stored on a disk connected to the IDE port of the board (independent of
> the RAID controller) or transfered to a file server on the network.

the RAID should be transparent to whatever backs it up. i.e. the hardware
(3ware card in this case) only presents a single drive (or whatever the RAID
level is) to the OS and consequently the backup software. it's up to you to
restore (when and if you need to restore) to whatever (hardware) RAID you
want.

> The image(s) should serve as a backup copy from which the system can be
> easily restored. It is only needed as a one-time backup to be made
> before doing a dist-upgrade of the system.
>
> Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

'mondo' might be what you're looking for.

> GH

anoop.