Re: upgrade screwed up my network.

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 19:30, Sean J. Fraley wrote:

> Web browsing and e-mail work fine, but accessign other systems on the LAN
> does not.  If I run "/etc/init.d/networking restart" the original static IP
> of 192.168.15.1 gets set and LAN access works, but web browsing and e-mail
> do not.  Can anyone tell me what is going on, and how do I fix it?

I know your frustration on this one...imagine doing an upgrade before bed,
having your connection work just fine until a power glitch[1] during the
morning commute, get to work and the server back at home is dead to the
world.  Fixing servers after spending 10 hours on the clock fixing servers:
Just what everybody wants in a day of work.

Long story short, after doing a little poking and prodding, I discovered
zeroconf must *really* should be called much-more-difficult-to-conf.  Just
remove zeroconf and you'll get the correct behavior we're all used to again.

[1] Portland General went to crap when it was privatized and bought by
Enron...just example 797 on why successful privatization of essential
utilities and services is an impossible fairy tale...

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber