hardware probs.: your opinion

Hi,

For the likelihood that someone on the list has a better idea than I with what to do:

I bought hardware that isn't working right:

1. A wd800jd sata drive hangs in post on the EPoX ep-8vtai motherboard.
any ideas of what to do next? Returning merchandise is difficult from where I am presently. It's the only mobo I have with SATA ports.

2. A seatronic s12-330rt power supply unit causes problems for the APC UPS LS500UC unit. The present unit (Fortron 300W FSP300-60ATV) works correctly.

In both cases contacts with hardware support (WD and APC) resulted in zip.

Suggestions?