Re: apt-get update gives failed to fetch error

Andrew Vaughan wrote:

Hi

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:55, Oz wrote:
I just installed Debian from http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/etch_d-i/beta1/amd64/iso-c
d/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso  and now want to update the list of
packages because the image has only the basic set of packages. I edited
the /etc/apt/sources.list file  and here is what it looks like now:
-----------------------------------------------start------------- #deb
cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 Binary-1
(20051111)]/ etch contrib main

 #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64
Binary-1 (20051111)]/ etch contrib main

amd64 is not (yet) in the official archive. http://amd64.debian.net/README.mirrors.html contains a list of mirrors. (I'm assuming the page is current, I don't run amd64).
 deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

 deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free

Note above you installed Etch, which is the the version in testing/development for the next stable release. The current stable release is Sarge.

Googling for sarge install images I found this https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html page, which might be useful. Andrew

It seems to me that both sarge and etch have problem with apt if you try to install a desktop system. Both give 'a lot' of unmet dependencies, for gnome and for kde mainly, and tell that apt is broken. As this already append in the past, I suggest you wait a day or two, usually things clear up.
Thierry