Re: How to play these files on Debian (Sarge) (WAS:Re: How can I play avi, wmv, mov videos on a standalone DVD player?)

Tiago Pedrosa wrote:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:30:18 +0100
Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

Chinook wrote:

Marc Shapiro wrote:

Robert Glueck wrote:

I'd like to play video clips in .avi, .wmv and .mov format
on a standalone DVD player that's hooked up to a standard
TV set.

I'd like to play them on Sarge.  Just today I clicked on a .mov
file and was asked if I wanted to use the default program
(gmplayer).  I said yes, but after it DL'd the file it complained
that it could not find the proper codec (I don't remember, now,
which codec it was looking for). Is there some place to get the
proper codecs to make these work.  If so, where is it?  If not,
why give a default player that can not actually play the file?

You might both look at VLC in your package app, or see
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I just tried it on the .mov file from above. The video played just fine, but there was no audio at all. I checked the preferences, made sure that audio was enabled and the sound was turned all the way up. Still no sound. I normally do get sound on this box. Is there something else that I am missing? If you need more information, just let me know.

Marc

Hi ;
	I think that the problem could be codecs, you should install
w32codecs.
	This package is in the mirror of marillat the same of mplayer.

Richard Lyons wrote:

I had something similar a couple of days ago, watching a DVD.  vlc has
an 'audio' menu, IIRC, containing mono, stereo and something else. It
was defaulting every time to the something else, and clicking on stereo
switched the sound on.

I installed the codecs from marillat, but that did not change anything. I also checked all of the audio options under the audio menu and under preferences, to no avail.

Now that I have the codecs installed, however, gmplayer will give me audio for the .mov file, but still no video. If I could just sync the audio from gmplayer with the video from vlc then I would have a work-around. A LOUSY work-around, mind you, but a work-around.

Very frustrated is,
Marc Shapiro