Re: "Antispam UOL" spam from petsupermarket@uol.com.br?

Rogério Brito wrote:
> They don't have the best practices around (actually, I could, myself, administer
> an ISP much better than they can---and, in fact, had done so for some years,
> when I was beginning my M.Sc. degree), but the guilty part here is just an
> stupid user using the (stupid) challenge-response "antispam protection".

    Rogério, we're not denying that you're using the ISP legitimately.  We're
pointing out that the ISP is just as culpable as the user for providing such
brain dead and harmful tools.  Gene's reference to an open relay was meant in
the same vein.  While people can use an open relay legitimately when they are
used to spam the server in question is just as culpable as the spammer.

    Trust me, I've had the same problem but 90 degrees to the left.  I had a
colo box which was nice and cheap.  Problem is the block the IP assigned to it
was known to host spammers.  I was RBLed from many places even though my
machine has never over the years been used to spam and that IP in particular
had no record of spamming.  Even now I am RBLed from places because I have a
static IP from Sprint misidentified as a dynamic IP.  Not much I can do about
it because Sprint is too stupid to figure out how to work reverse DNS and the
RBLs are too stubborn to believe this block isn't dynamic.