Re: "Antispam UOL" spam from petsupermarket@uol.com.br?

Gene,

On 11/18/05 01:17, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 17 November 2005 21:30, Rogério Brito wrote:
>
>>This attitude would punish a lot of users, "thank you". For example,
>>since they are my ISP, I'm using them as a relay.
>
> And "open" relays should be banned.  Period.

I'm not using them in any illegal way. As I said, they are my ISP and I have to
route all my mail through them.

They don't have the best practices around (actually, I could, myself, administer
an ISP much better than they can---and, in fact, had done so for some years,
when I was beginning my M.Sc. degree), but the guilty part here is just an
stupid user using the (stupid) challenge-response "antispam protection".

> Nevertheless Rogerio, we are not impressed and from discussions on
> other lists, this particular ISP has left a bad taste in everyones
> mouth.  Each of us has various methods of dealing with this, and ATM
> I'm forwarding all such messages to abuse@uol.com.br.  Its no doubt a
> black hole, but...

I don't know if that's exactly a black hole, but you can also try to address
your messages to, at least, two other addresses:

uol@uol.com.br
security@uol.com.br

I guess that forwarding he offending message(s) would be the effective way of
dealing with this issue.

Nice to have people from other countries irritated with their behaviour. It's a
pain not to have Usenet access for serious newsgroups like sci.math,
comp.theory, comp.text.tex, comp.lang.c++.moderated, comp.lang.c.moderated and
comp.emacs.

> If your messages are not getting through, then your choice as we see
> it, is to lean on your ISP and loan them a clue.
> Bat optional, but I'd take one along.  Your call.

Yes, getting a bat clue would help, but the customer support is so bad that I
can't even speak with those that would make things happen---the "barrage" of
stupid call-center monkeys always ask me "But sir, can't you navigate the web"?

If I had other options, I would indeed consider them.

But thanks for getting them the feedback needed. Perhaps they will listen to
people from other countries.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/