Re: spam howto

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> Matt Price wrote:
>
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >Looking for a simple spam-control howto.  I have tried setting up
> >bogofilter & spamassassin in the past & I've always run into trouble;
> >the process sometimes seems incredibly complex.

spam howto ... gazillion options ...
	http://Linux-Sec.net/Mail/AntiSpam

what is the critiria...
	- no false positive allowed ?? in which case, "guessing"
	if it is a filter based on scores probably will not work

	- some spam filters work better for say nigerian spam and porno
	spam but will bomb on say insurance spam and medical spam

	- what is your definition of spam ... which will depend
	on if its a single user or corp mail server where catalogues
	from dell is spam to you but not spam to purchasing@corp.com

	- who are you sending/receiving emails from will also dictate
	which spam filter you will need to be using

	- use different accounts for different purposes which will
	eliminate more than 1/2 or all of your spams on the other accts
	( it's easier to deal with spam on one acct than on all accts )

simple solution ...
	- use the mta's built in antispam provisions ...
	( a couple minuts to tweek/enable it ..

	- look at the examples ... ( from google/yahoo )

	- this can get rid of 90% - 99% of your spams
	when you configured the built in filters properly
	which is non-trivial for your environment

messy solutions
	- use any random spam filters from random.xyz.com
	- take your time to figure things out to see how it works
	- for the amt of time spent, its NOT worth the extra
	  5% or so of additional antispam filter it added
	  vs the generic spam filters that is a matter of minutes
	  to configure

let-them-do-it-for-me
	- you get what you let them do or not do
	- you're stuck with their filters

- there is no simple answer for "the spam solution" since it will
  be different for everybody

- for me, one false positive ( a real email flagged as spam ) is
  completely unacceptable on work accounts

c ya
alvin