Re: Adding LVM to an existing system (SOLVED)

Dick Davies wrote:
On 17/11/05, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

Dick Davies wrote:

That's weird. All I can say is that it's definitely possible to do LVM on
logical partitions.

It does seem odd.  Are you using Sid, or Etch?  I am running Sarge.
Could that make a difference?

I'm on etch, so maybe. Can other tools see it?
(can you mkswap /dev/hda12 for example).

If so, you could try a vgscan or a reboot.

A reboot seems to have been the required trick. I usually try to avoid reboots when I can since my wife leave a lot of tabs open in Firefox and I don't want to close something that she is using if it isn't necessary. But it did solve the problem this time. I recreated /dev/hda12 and removed the LV and VG that I originally had on /dev/hda1 and then rebooted. After that I was able to do pvcreate /dev/hda1 and pvcreate /dev/hda12. I then made a VG from both of them, and created a LV on them that was almost the size of the full VG. Then I created an ext2fs on the LV and mounted it, followed by copying almost everything from my regular partitions over to the LV. This was more than would have fit on /dev/hda1 alone. Doing an ls -R appears to show that everything is likely there and a df shows the VG to contain close to the same amount as the other partitions combined. I can view text files and .pdf files that are on the LV as well, so it seems that everything is working correctly now.

So, now I will play around with it a little more before I redo everything and commit myself to it.

Thanks, everyone!

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com