cannot log back into Gnome after reboot (bug in Testing?)

Hi,

I am experiencing this loggin in problem for quite a while now. Recently
I have had to reboot my machine quite a few times for one reason or
another and have noticed this problem consistenly.

After a reboot, I cannot log back into gnome. After the username
password I get the gray screen but the computer hangs there.

I have discovered that the problem can be solved by removing /tmp/.esd.
Rarely, even that doesn't work and I have to then kill any esd processes
running and then remove /tmp/.esd and the problem goes away.

Anybody else experience this problem? I am running Testing with 2.6.12
kernel and I have:
$> dpkg -l *esd* | grep ^ii
ii  alsaplayer-esd           0.99.76-0.3
ii  gstreamer-esd            0.6.4-5.1
ii  libesd-alsa0             0.2.36-1
ii  vlc-plugin-esd           0.8.1.svn20050314-1

thanks,
->HS