Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 22:43 -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 01:26:50AM +0000, Antony Gelberg wrote:
>
> > I think users need to get back to learning a little.  I was asked by a
> > customer yesterday why Thunderbird doesn't capitalise the H in Hello
> > like Outlook (Word) does.  I was too speechless to suggest just typing
> > properly.
> >
> > In fact most tools that I have seen that are designed to be operated
> > with no knowledge of the subject, produce inferior output.
>
> Even granting this arguendo, it lets a non-techie somewhere produce
> SOMETHING, in an hour, that does what he needs, without hiring you or me to
> do it for him.
>
> So it's inefficent.  So what?

Because in 6 months or a year, when the size of that quick-and-dirty
DB grows bigger than expected, and becomes vital to the organization
(or subset thereof), they suddenly realize that it doesn't scale
and/or is full of bad data.

Don't ask me to figure out HR regulations, and I won't ask you to
design databases.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"If thine enemy offend thee, give his child a drum."
Chinese Curse