Re: Slow server response

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 09:02:37AM -0500, Ed Curtis wrote:

> Just recently one of our servers has started to respond to certain
> requests rather slowly. POP, SMTP, and SSH reqeusts have started showing
> slower reponse times from the server. I'm running Woody on a dual
> processor machine with 2 gigs of memory and a hardware raid. Uptime shows
> our load average at 1.17 and top shows 98.2% system resources free. I
> don't know where to look to find out why the server is repsonding so slow.

Check the logs -- is the slowness in server response itself, or in the
network?  For instance, if there's a firewall/router upstream of the server,
that could have slowed down or been overloaded.
--
Carl Fink                                         carl@fink.to
If you attempt to fix something that isn't broken, it will be.