Re: looking for a transparent hardware RAID controller for debian

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 13:44 +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Am 2005-11-15 07:54:47, schrieb David Kirchner:
>
> > We haven't tried Raptors yet. We're waiting for the capacities to
> > approach that of the other SATA drives. As it is now the pricing on
> > the Raptors isn't low enough compared to identically sized SCSI disks
> > for us to use them instead. I've definitely wanted to experiment with
> > them though.
>
> ...and the Raptor SATA exist only in 36 GByte and 74 GByte.
>
> I am missing 18 GByte (emough for workststions) and 147 and
> 300 GByte for Servers.
>
> My Woody/Sarge workstation has a 36 GByte drive and vever I had
> a fast workststion like this one, ;-) OK, the price with 96 Euro
> IS realy high, but I have performance pure.
>
> @home I have a PostgreSQL Server running with a 3Ware 3w95xxS-8
> with eight 74 GByte drives and it is around 30 times faster as
> with 4 IBM/Hitachi 400 GByte on 3w8506-4LP (PATA).

Money really does == speed.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"If I started worrying about how my constituents are going to
react to every move I make, I wouldn't be able to do my job here.
I'll do what I think is right and explain it later."
Ed Harris, Texas state legislator (D)