Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

> > newbie - unstable, that's normal. If you like it that way. And they will
> > learn a lot.
>
> Why is it normal for a newbie to use unstable?  It's usually an initial
> period of "look at me, I'm using Debian without having to use their
> cruddy old software" followed by a cry for help, either here or on IRC,
> when they hose their system and can't fix it.

1. Normal = most of them does just that.
2. Debian unstable is just as good as a stable Fedora, etc.
3. By having problems, which on unstable are rapidly resolved (<1 week)
they actually learn a lot. Beginning with a little patience.
4. They usually don't price stability at all since they don't devellop
for anything, they just use.

> > For who is stable: Experts, sysadmins etc. That a fantastic base where
> > you can build anything fot it and be sure you can put in production
> > anywhere because the base is the same. Stable is our Solaris, in their
> > sense "Stable is the most advanced distribution"
>
> All very romantic, but not too factual.

That's the way I see it used around me.

Michel.