Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

Carl Fink wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:33:37PM +0000, Antony Gelberg wrote:
>
> [OpenOffice.org's new database-front-end capabilities]
>

>>I'd still like to know what, in business terms if you like, you can do
>>with this, that you cannot do with e.g. LAMP.
>

> It's a weird question.  There's nothing there you can't do with dBASE III,
> either, or COBOL on an IBM System/370.

It's a fair question.  What quantifiable difference will it make to
anything, apart from being a new toy to play with?

> What the Access-like features of OOo 2 let one do is create and manipulate
> and use databases WITHOUT SPENDING A LOT OF TIME LEARNING HOW.

Oh. A real killer app then.  I have seen many databases over the years.
 The worst designs have all been in Access.

I think users need to get back to learning a little.  I was asked by a
customer yesterday why Thunderbird doesn't capitalise the H in Hello
like Outlook (Word) does.  I was too speechless to suggest just typing
properly.

In fact most tools that I have seen that are designed to be operated
with no knowledge of the subject, produce inferior output.