Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 18:25 -0800, Bruce Hohl wrote:
> > > It's not that simple. A lot of newbies dive into testing or
> unstable
> > > because they "have" to have the newest stuff, then they don't know
> > > what to do when their system breaks.
>
> > So it's Debian's *fault* that newbies whine when they make no effort
> > to read the Debian web site?
>
> Gentlemen:
> My original question has morphed into something other than I intended.
> Firstly, I did not whine about Debian.  I simply stated

It's the generic "newbie"... :)

>  IMHO OpenOffice 2 is an important piece of software, important enough
> to get into Testing ASAP and provide debs for Sarge.  No one has to
> agree with my *opinion*.  It is simply feedback from someone who has
> used Linux for three years (I'm only a newbie to Debian).
>
> Secondly, I did in fact make an effort to determine if I could get
> OpenOffice onto Sarge easily (i.e. from a repository or deb packages -
> these options do not yet appear available).  More and more I want
> Linux to be easy to use, stable (as in Sarge), open, and have good
> software - this led me to Debian.  I "need" OO Base because I need an
> MS Access like application for Linux, and I need it now!  Access has
> been around for like 10+ years.

Either upgrade to Sid or look for it at apt-get.org :
http://www1.apt-get.org/search.php?query=openoffice.org&submit=&arch%5B%
5D=i386&arch%5B%5D=all and search for "2.0.0".  Maybe it's
compiled for Etch.

And search thru the debian-openoffice mailing list archives to
see what's preventing it from moving into Etch.

I *guarantee* you that there is a very good reason why it hasn't
yet been moved to Etch.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not
simpler."
Albert Einstein