Re: mounting a remote directory

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 12:01 pm, Tony Heal wrote:
> couple of questions for those more in the know than me. [which probably
> means everybody. :) ]
>
> I am running Debian/sarge
>
> What are the various ways to mount a remote directory for seamless use by a
> service running on a parent server?
>
> I only know nfs. Is this the best way? Is this the most secure?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tony Heal
> Pace Systems Group, Inc.
> 800-624-5999
> theal@pace2020.com

http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/stirling/computergeek/lufs.html

Probably more secure implementation than NFS,  especially if the remote
filesystem is only excessable via a public network (the internet).   However
NFS is by far the most documented and thus supported method for this.  Oh and
there is smbfs to mount MS file systems, but I don't really recommend it
unless it's the only way (IE you need to mount a windows share).