Re: Can't write to external 160 gigs usb hard drive

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 20:20 -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 06:58:44PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > Solution:
> > > connect it, start parted
> > >
> > > $ parted /dev/sde
> > >
> > > remove all partitions, make a new label; make new partitions with new
> >
> > Who cares about the disk label????
> >

> ¿?
>
> > > file systems (I chose ext2, one small fat32)
> > >
> > > commands: rm ; mklabel; mkpartfs
> >
> > mkpartfs?
> >
> > What's that?  Such a program isn't in (unstable) Debian.
> >

> ¿?
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/html_chapter/parted_2.html#SEC19
>
> and parted is included in debian

That's odd.  http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages  doesn't find
it.

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=mkpartfs&searchmode=searchword&case=insensitive&version=unstable&arch=i386

And the list of files in parted does not list mkpartfs.
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=parted&version=unstable&arch=i386

> > > To verify, print to the screen, then quit
> > >
> > > commands: print; quit
> > >
> > > Remark: cfdisk failed miserably, may be because didn't change the label
> > > 	of the disk and udev was reading from it and mounting it NTFS,
> > > 	whatever reason, after using cfdisk NTFS still remained. (¿?)
> >
> > Exact commands and error messages are always tres' useful when
> > someone is helping with remote diagnostics.
> >

> What do you mean? The commands are exact, and I was reporting how the
> solution was found, not (at this point) looking for remote diagnostics.

Sorry.  "cfdisk failed miserably" led me to believe you were
still having problems.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"The warning message we sent the Russians was a calculated
ambiguity that would be clearly understood."
Alexander Haig