Re: How To Access Internal USB 6-in-1 Card Reader and CF Memory Card?

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 21:47 -0800, Scarletdown wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 23:09 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 20:21 -0800, Scarletdown wrote:
> > > Just yesterday, I picked up a 6-in-1 internal USB card reader at a
> > > thrift store. (For $1.95, I couldn't pass it up). So anyway, I'm now at
> > > a bit of a loss as to how to access it. I have it installed and plugged
> > > into one of the internal USB connectors on the motherboard, and
> > > apparently, the OS sees it, as evidenced by the output from the
> > > following operations:

It seems to be working now for some mysterious reason.  This happened
after I powered down to install an Ultra-SCSI adapter, though I'm pretty
sure that is just a coincidence.

Here's what dmesg shows now:

  Vendor: SPRING    Model: MultiCard Slot A  Rev: 0100
Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: SPRING    Model: MultiCard Slot D  Rev: 0100
Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
  Vendor: SPRING    Model: MultiCard Slot S  Rev: 0100
Attached scsi removable disk sdd at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 2
  Vendor: SPRING    Model: MultiCard Slot M  Rev: 0100
Attached scsi removable disk sde at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 3

With the 4MB CF card inserted, I was able to access it with
cfdisk /dev/sdb.  Unfortunately, the card seems to be bad.  I made a
FAT12 partition on it (since that is what it's supposed to have for my
camera), but writing the new partition table failed.  I seem to recall
some timeout errors or something like that.  At least I know the card
reader works.  And the strange thing is, I still have only one cable
connected to the internal USB, yet all four clots are active.  So,
anyone know what that second cable is for?