Missing curses libraries

	I went to modify a kernel build on a system I rebuilt last
Summer.  When I gave the command

make menuconfig

I got the following error message:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
>>
>> You must install ncurses-devel in order
>> to use 'make menuconfig'

	I used apt-get to try to find a package with that name to no
avail.  I also looked at all the curses libraries in dselect and did
not find ncurses-devel so I am trying to figure out how I goofed.

	The system has no X on it, but I use vt100 applications on it
all the time with no complaints.  It might be that I damaged something
when restoring from backups after the rebuild.  The system works
amazingly well to be missing something so important.:-)

	Thanks for any ideas.  It makes me wonder what else isn't
working because of the missing libraries.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group