Re: HD in PIO Mode since kernel 2.6.14

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Wackojacko wrote:

> >>I have an nforce4 motherboard running dma enabled with the standard
> >>nforce2 ide driver from the kernel :).
> >

> > bingo ..  exactly ... nvidia like to control *your pc* even
> > if it's not video or (nvidia) network
> >
> Exactly how is this different from using the piix module for intel
> chipsets that is built in the kernel.

if you use generic intel drivers .. you may or maynot get
dma mode on nvidia ide chipset or other chipsets
 	- some folks won't notice the ddifference either :-)

> BTW I also use the forcedeth module for network.  I do admit to using
> the nvidia driver for video but if you want decent 3D performance you
> have to use the non-free ATI drivers as well AFAIK.

on the other hand, if you're using $1,000 - $2,000 3D nvidia cards, it
beats the living !@#$% out of ati video cards
	- at this point, ati lost the battle

	and again, you're forced to use the nvidia drivers for nvidia
	graphics chipsets

c ya
alvin