TMPDIR problems

Hi,

I want to use an encrypted home partition but I see little use in having
my entire system crypted. So I wanted to make sure that TMPDIR=$HOME/tmp
is honoured by every application (in order not to have /tmp as a
possible leak for sensitive information). So far with little success (on
Etch).

* /etc/security/pam_env.conf doesn't work because $HOME isn't set when
pam_env.so is called. (is that how it should be? The examples in the
file work with $HOME)

* The Xsession man page talks about TMPDIR but I couldn't figure out
where that environment variable should be set so that Xsession sees it.
The kdm/gdm config files don't have options for setting environment
variables for Xsession.

* I tried setting TMPDIR manually in a Xsession.d script but the
environment variable got lost in ssh-agent. Moreover, KDE, for example,
doesn't seem to honour TMPDIR anyway.

Am I missing something obvious?
Regard^s
Martin