Test iso without burning was: Re: virtual installation?

Matt Price wrote:

>On 11/1/05, Randall Smith <randall@tnr.cc> wrote:
>

>>I'd like to test different drive configurations virtually without having
>>to resort to something like vmware or qemu.  I know how to create a
>>virtual filesystem using dd and wonder can I create a virtual drive that
>>I can partition with fdisk, etc.  For example, I'd like to set up a
>>virtual raid 5 array.  Can this be easily done?
>>

>Not an answer, but the question makes me wonder:  I have been making
>various modifications to the Ubuntu install disks (all the work done
>at home on my debian/sid system) and I am burning lots of coasters!
>is it possible to create a virtual environment in which I can test
>installation media?  Free (as in speech) software preferred, of
>course.
>
>thanks as always,
>matt

When I create an iso image of my custom Knoppix CD, I test the image
with the "qemu" program.  That way I don't have to burn a cd until I'm
sure the iso is going to work.

Here's the command that I use:
qemu -m 128 -cdrom my_custom_cd.iso -boot d -user-net

--

Mitch Wiedemann
Webmaster - Ithaca Free Software Association