x86, Kernel 2.6.8-16: is the partition table code broken?

Let me try a simpler question. I'm running kernel 2.6.8-16 on x86. I'm
not using LVM; just straight fdisk-style partitions.

I have a hard drive that's totally unused: there are no mounted
partitions and no swap partitions on it.

When I use parted, fdisk, etc to edit the partition sector:
	- changes to primary and extended partitions do not show
	  up until a reboot: /dev/hda, /dev/hda1 etc will not
	  dynamically appear, and the devices behind those names
	  are unrecognised by the driver.
	- changes to logical partitions show up immediately.

Is this a known problem? Does it "work for you"?

Thanks in advance,
jan

PS. Would appreciate a CC: on any responses.