Problems with OpenAFS

Hi there
 I tried to install OpenAFS on Debian Sarge 3.1.
To do this I used the afs-newcell script as described in the
documentation (I have already a working Kerberos V setup, afs principal
is included). Unfortunately, the afs-newcell script returns an error
where it complains that it cannot find a '<default>' cell in the
database. I'm new to AFS but it seems to me that this cell is not
registered somewhere in the database and after reading a bit in the
IBM AFS manual should also not be needed.
Has anyone of you an idea what is going on here or what I'm doing wrong?

cu
 Eugen