Re: ripping audio cd (sarge)

Hello

Robert Epprecht (<epprecht@solnet.ch>) wrote:

> I want to rip my audio cd's and have the files renamed to the name of
> the music title. I have heard about 'abcde' and have used 'jack' long
> ago (but forgotten the details). I didn't know which one to take, so
> I wanted to try both, but couldn't manage to run either of them.
>
> I'm not really clear, how it is supposed to work. Do I have to run
> these programs as root? (wouldn't like the idea...).

You need read access to the cdrom device files. If you don't use
ide-scsi-Emulation (e.g. if your device files are /dev/hdx), make sure
they belong to the cdrom group and that you are member of that group.
If you use kernel 2.4 with ide-scsi emulation, make sure that /dev/sg*
belongs to root.cdrom and has read/write access for the group. I think
you also need these permissions if you want to write CDs without making
the apps suid root.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270