Re: GRUB woes (install to hde)

ummm...

well, you guys sureh ave been busy while I was away...

I'm afraid Mike's right -- doubtless this wwas clearer to him than to
alvin b/c he was helping me out in an earlier, similar thread.  I am
trying to duplicate these disks and make them bootable.  Here's the
situation:

about 25 machines, which will be running Ubuntu.
non-identical, old disks which likely have bad sectors (so don't want to
dd if=/dev/hde of=/dev/hdf or similar).
so then, question is:  how to run grub, preferably non-interactively,
in such a way that it actually works (which I guess means, in such a
way that it finds the stage2 file in /boot/grub).

Still not knowing exactly what I'm doing, I've tried various methods
thus far with no luck, and am not sure how to proceed...

sitll thanks everyone for your efforts!