Re: upgrading to etch after installing sarge

On Thursday 29 September 2005 12:11, valdyn wrote:
> you could pin udev to whatever version you have from sarge or you could
> grab a 2.6.12 kernel image from sid and install that one. Example(s) for
> pinning to some version are in 'man apt_preferences'.

Thanks.  I've pinned udev.  Any hint on how to avoid this kind of thing in the
future with some other package upgrade?  I was using synaptic, added testing
to the repository after installing sarge, and then chose "Mark All Upgrades".
I thought that part of "debian way" of package management was preventing a
package being installed without its dependencies being present or at least
installed at the same time.  Or is this something peculiar to a kernel
dependency?  (Or do I just have the wrong conception of the whole scheme?)

Andy