upgrading to etch after installing sarge

Hi,

Just installed sarge on a P4 box, then ran synaptic and upgraded to etch
during which I got this:

* Configuring debconf
* unpacking replacement locales
* preparing to replace 2.3.2.dsl-22 (using libc6_2.3.5-i386.deb)
* [snip]
* Name Service Switch update in C Library...
* [snip]
* 	gdm must be stopped before glibc upgrade
* [snip]
* Continue Y/n:

So at that point I quit the process. This was my second pass at doing an
install on this machine.

The first time when I got to this point, I continued with the process and
wound up with a "locale" problem and a warning that "udev requires kernel >=
2.6.12 upgrade aborted."  Gnome was hosed while KDE continued to work.  But,
after this second install now I have a working desktop system with both Gnome
and KDE.

I'm a relative noob.  Had etch with the 2.4 kernel working on a P2 machine
which literally caught on fire (black, smelly smoke kind of fire).  On the
new one I installed the 2.6.8 kernel.

I'd like to move to etch (testing) and am wondering what to do after running
into the above problem.  Do I boot to a command prompt and run aptitude as a
work around?  Or ...?

Andy