Re: tar backup ok but restore errors w/ scsi dat dds2

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Ralph Eagle wrote:

> shinzon:~# find /usr/kbmosas/std | buffer | tar zcvf /dev/st0 -T -
> Backed up 110 files, 1.2MB without any errors from tar

> shinzon:~# tar tzvf /dev/st0
> drwxrws--- root/users        0 2005-08-25 10:10:35 usr/kbmosas/std/
> -rw-rw---- root/users     7516 2005-08-25 10:31:52 usr/kbmosas/std/_amort
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
>
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
> tar: Child died with signal 13

sounds like youhave:
	- bad motherboard/memory
	- bad tape drive cables

	- do NOT put a tape drives on the same (ide) cables as disks
	- do NOT put disk ond cdrom/dvd on the same (ide) cables

- which scsi card ..

- i'd always be using the latest kernel to 2.4.31 or 2.6.13 for the
  latest drivers at the first sign of something broken
	and going down to latest gcc/glibc/bash if needed

> Tested writing/reading tar ball to hd with no problem

good ansity check

> And there is the fact that if I put this
> scsi card and either tape drive in another box (tried two other 1- SCO Unix
> on a 486DX266 and 2- Debian Linux on a PII in testing), they work fine.

good .. hw might be okay with the distro you ran the test with

> This all leads me to think that the problem is the environment (mobo). Maybe
> this particular combination of mobo/scsi?

yup or memory that wasn't used in the previous tests

c ya
alvin