Re: pointer for home networking

On 09/27/2005 08:53 pm, michael wrote:
> > On 09/27/2005 08:43 pm, michael wrote:
> >> I should also add that it'd be better to link the machines so that I
> >> only
> >> have to download all updates once from the Internet (and then use copy
> >> locally)
> >
> > Using a router would not prevent you from doing that.
> >

> > 8)
>
> Okay. Fair enough point.
>
> But, can we now take it as given I want to set up my PC as a router, and
> thus I am looking for a 'simple how to' in order to do this. I would have
> thought it was about 3 commands on each PC!
>
> Once I've worked it out, I'm more than happy to write said how-to...

There are many How-To's/tutorials and here is one.
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/networking/homegateway.html

You will probably be using iptables unless you are using an older (pre 2.4.x)
kernel.

You should not need to do any special setup on the client machines, only on
the gateway; the client machines will just need the IP address of the gateway
machine.

8)