Re: ReiseFS vs XFS

On 27/09/05, valentin_nils@be-known-online.com
<valentin_nils@be-known-online.com> wrote:
> Hello Dick,
>

> > I'm actually starting to think about giving each user their own
> > partition, since it's so little hassle.
> >
> Would that be feasable in an enviroment with 40.000 mail users ? ;-)

I don't run an environment with 40000 users Anyway, do you really want each
mail user to have their own home directory?.

> I understood that basically Scsi HDD can have 15 partitions max and
> IDE/SATA f.e. 64 partitions max.
>
> Am I mistaken, or do you know more than me ?

If you like :)

I'm talking about LVM.
64 ide partitions ==  64 LVM physical volumes.
You build one dirty great volume group out of that, and then
create as many logical volumes as you want.

A volume group can be made out of physical volumes on multiple disks,
so there's
no limit to the size of a volume group. (There's probably some
internal kernel data structure that is finite, I haven't looked at the
code).