WiFi Problems (It doesn't work properly)

I reccently acquired a Toshiba laptop (Satellite A70 with Atheros 5004X wireless) and am running 2.6.12 (linux-image), Sid, KDE 3.4.2, X.org (not that that makes a difference, but for completion....). I have installed the madwifi driver via the instructions on the
marlow.dk site (to solve my problem, if you would like, I'd be quite willing to do it again: perhaps I didn't do it properly).

Now, though I am connected to the Network and thus to the Internet, it is not wroking properly.

When I go to a web site, (say google), it will say loading for a long time, then will either come in at the normal DSL speed, or simply will not work. Note that Gaim will often not connect (or it takes MANY attempts) and that apt-get (Synaptic) will usually work, after a LONG waiting period.

ping http://www.google.com reveals nothing (says unknown host).

What other information do you need to solve this problem?

I thank you kindly in advance.

--
�A watched bread-crumb never boils.
�My hover-craft is full of eels.