Re: What can I do with six new publicly available computers?

hi ya mitja

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 10:40:38AM +0200, Mitja Podreka wrote:

simple solution .. use knoppix cd in each PC and you're done

	- do not put/keep any data on any PC, as users will erase
	it or copy it or break in or ??  and you have to figure out
	what they did to break it

> > 1. I was thinking to take one computer, make a file server (maybe also
> > web-server) out of it and replace it with an old one running as thin
> > client.

and what happens when that 1 file server dies ...
	- have 2 of um

> Is there some other way of making a users /home/user directory
> > available regardless of which computer he is using?

fileserver# vi /etc/exports
	/home	192.168.1.0(rw)

clients# vi /etc/autofs.home
	/home	fileserver:/home

add options as needed

anybody can login from anywhere after you set up nis or ldap
( both are bad idea )
or rsync /etc/passwd /etc/shadow to each machine ( my preference )

> > 2. In the centre we do a lot of video editing using Premiere on window$.
> > I know some Linux video editing software but the problem is that just
> > one computer is powerful enough to do the job. If I make cluster out of
> > few computers then the thing would be strong enough.

and are you strong enuff to build such a cluster for all of the users

> The thing I'm not
> > sure is: can I use a normal software or it  should be specially made for
> > clusters?

too many sw for clusters...
	- compute clusters ??
	- high reliability clusters ?
	- disk storage clusters ?
	- ..

	http://www.ITX-Blades.net/Cluster/

> > 3. If I make cluster out of all six computers I would get some kind of
> > mini-supercomputer.

more like an old style mainframe

today... everybody has the equivalent of a $20M cray sitting ony our desk
playing with the screen saver or you playing poker on it

> Question: can computers work in a cluster and at the
> > same time one of them is used for surfing the web and another one is
> > used for video editing, thus in need of more resources?

yup.. as long as you have say 128MB of memory in each pc ..

> > 4. If someone has some other idea on how to use this six computer I
> > would realy like to hear it.

use a non-editable distro ... so you can sleep 16hrs of the day
instead of fixing what the class did tot he pc that it wont work anymore

> In the centre we are trying to promote
> > Linux and other Open Source software and make resources we have as
> > useful to the people as possible.

good idea

c ya
alvin